Inderes Coffee Room (Part 11)

Invested 25 euros in Kummit ry (The Association of Friends of the University Children’s Hospitals). I’ve been privileged enough not to have needed to use children’s hospitals’ services so far. Let’s hope as few as possible have to use them. And those who do need to, get the best care in the world there.

19 Likes

The narratives surrounding OpenAI’s and Anthropic’s IPOs are starting to get pretty high-flying! Soon, investors won’t even need to wonder how many tens of trillions the TAM is, but instead will have to choose which company’s Terminators to side with in the final battle to destroy humanity! :robot: Will only shareholders be spared from total destruction, and will they then own the entire planet? I wonder if you can diversify this risk by subscribing to both? Add SpaceX to the mix just in case you can catch a ride off to another planet before it’s too late :anxious_face_with_sweat:

49 Likes

I don’t really buy that PR narrative. Government intervention and the artificial braking or even stopping of development, which these guys are calling for, would not be bullish for Anthropic or OpenAI in any way.

If they are promoting anything with their doomsday painting, it’s most likely their own businesses.

3 Likes

Now I’m starting to understand SpaceX’s valuation; it’s going to sell first-class one-way tickets to Mars, so the margins will be just right. :smiley:

(Just a little lighthearted humor, as I was just pondering SpaceX’s valuation yesterday)

3 Likes

It’s starting to get expensive for a poor person.


Most of the cars moving on Finnish roads would probably change owners for less than that most expensive model.

52 Likes

Duolingo has been having fun with :green_apple:





28 Likes

The audio tracks are usually handled with Adobe Enhance, which works in the browser as part of Adobe subscriptions (which are still, I emphasize, still active :D).

@Tomi_Valkeajarvi recently cleverly coaxed Claude into making podcast cuts based on the audio tracks by giving the language model access to the files, and that initial work could then be fine-tuned in Premiere Pro. He can tell you more about it! :slight_smile:

As far as I understand, these are actual professional tools and we are on the cutting edge here… :smiley:

The community team has Macs, so M-series chips are our power, not NVIDIA.

16 Likes

Well, now that we’ve slept on the Google news, it’s probably appropriate to figure out how we can mess up these seemingly positive patterns. It just doesn’t fit the Finnish mindset to have this much excitement hitting Finnish listed companies all at once. Some negative news for a change, please, other than that threatening rise in electricity prices.

7 Likes

I am more than satisfied with the €200 Chinese phones I use. Am I really missing out on something important by not understanding this, or is this some kind of cult thing?

9 Likes

Good morning :hugs:

15 Likes

Better do a deep dive into this interview, just in case the checklist gets completely filled out.

30 Likes

If you take a lot of photos and videos, the cameras on more expensive phones are much better than the cheapest ones. I don’t, so I use cheap phones. But a €4,000 iPhone definitely includes a heavy brand markup, and the chip market has become more expensive as well.

2 Likes

American version of “Vappu satanen” (May Day hundred) :sweat_smile: :money_with_wings: Trump dividend!

“On the night between Wednesday and Thursday, US President Donald Trump floated the idea of a “Trump dividend” for the country’s adult citizens if the Republican party wins the election. Trump did not disclose how this costly election promise would be implemented.”

17 Likes

Sure, people can use their phone for whatever they need, but I don’t understand what you get for those four grand that you wouldn’t find in cheaper ones? In my opinion, even a grand is too much for a phone, and I wouldn’t even have my current S25+ if I hadn’t gotten it heavily subsidized.

4 Likes

Quite respectable distances were run at the Topi Raitasen Stadion Cooper (Topi Raitanen Stadium Cooper) event :slight_smile:

  • Olympic champion Sami Jauhojärvi, 45, ran 3,590 meters at the Topi Raitanen Stadium Cooper.
  • Ex-skier Anssi Pentsinen followed Jauhojärvi and ran 3,570 meters.
  • The event’s strongest result was run by 19-year-old Aleksi Ahlfors with 4,220 meters.
10 Likes

It’s interesting how fiercely negative so many people view all data center investments. Even when their employment impact and the tax revenues they generate are shown. Somehow it feels like the electricity bill shouldn’t rise by a single cent in a country that already has the EU’s cheapest electricity for industry and the third cheapest for households measured by purchasing power. All positive things are interpreted as negative, people don’t believe what is announced about the investment, and almost all figures are claimed to be distorted. I have never encountered anything like this before when industry invests here. And note, we are now on an economic forum. You can imagine what the quality of the discussion is elsewhere.

Somehow it feels like the opposition to wind power and data centers go hand in hand and are comparable to a religious movement.

Personally, I consider this announcement by Google and Fortum extremely good in every way. Also regarding the fact that Fortum finally got the missing piece to start investing in base-load electricity production through nuclear power. 5/5 day yesterday.

59 Likes

I myself have also been puzzled by this. I had Gemini generate this curve illustrating the price of electricity over a 50-year period\n

\nI didn’t fact-check it, but at a glance, I’d trust the data to be roughly correct. The green PPP line is the most important of these.\n\nTaking into account Finland’s history of industrialization and the amounts of electricity it consumes, I simply cannot understand why any party would have the motivation, rational need, or desire to hinder data centers being built in Finland. Provided they are not in someone’s backyard and get their electricity from the grid with minimal on-site generation. On-site generation is a real problem where cheap or even free gas drives IT halls to MW-scale on-site solutions, e.g., in Texas. Finland also does not have an acute water problem unlike Arizona or Texas. Around here, the cooling air can be channeled into the district heating network or a neighboring factory, which yields synergy benefits. Here we have nearly carbon-neutral energy.\n\nI have heard in sauna discussions from alumni of Armatuuri (Electrical Engineering Guild) how large connections to the Finnish transmission grid are difficult. Especially in western Finland. Well, what could be better than having a megatech company finance the transmission grid’s maintenance backlog.\n\nThere is a historical track record that a) Finland is electrifying, b) Finnish industry is electrifying, c) the price of electricity is roughly constant for the consumer.\n\nI will also add here what I think is the single best image to describe the development of societies\n\nThere is also an animated version of this in the time domain that I have seen sometimes, but couldn’t find right on the spot. A nation’s well-being can be measured directly in energy.

40 Likes

I have wondered about the exact same thing and noticed over the years that this topic isn’t the only one of its kind where positive news coverage is sharply twisted into something negative. People go out of their way to look for the negatives while pushing the positives into the background.

Personally, I’m a sickeningly positive and optimistic person, and I don’t really fret or worry about anything because there’s no need to. It’s all about maximizing my own well-being, which I am not going to stifle with unnecessary pessimism and negativity. I trust how things work and are handled in various areas, such as investments like this, and as an ordinary citizen, I’m not going to start questioning things that I ultimately know almost nothing about.

So yes, great news, and this (too) will turn out well! :flexed_biceps: Happy eve-of-Friday everyone!

19 Likes


11 Likes

If you happen to read discussions about data centers on social media, you start to regret being able to literacy. The opponents’ arguments repeatedly feature the following points:

  • We are being scammed again
  • Electricity prices are going to skyrocket and one’s own electricity bill is more important than Finland’s national economy
  • Only foreign labor and imported materials are used in building the centers
  • Not a single cent of taxes is paid anywhere along these supply chains

Additionally, the same phenomenon as in culture wars can be observed, where social media-fueled arguments and narratives are imported directly as-is from the US.

34 Likes