Christmas 2024 & Charity

Involved in the cooking :christmas_tree::santa_claus:t3::heart: and those signs……………………………………………………

5 Likes

@Sijoittaja-alokas could this thread be pinned to the top or a new one created for 2025? People could then add their own favorites there, where they could share Christmas cheer. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I’ve pinned this thread for now, at least to get some attention for a good cause. :slight_smile: And then I’ll pin a new thread as needed, if/when one comes along. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Have there been any significant changes recently regarding the cost-effectiveness of collections and the allocation of funds? If past trends are anything to go by, is the Christmas Kettle (Joulupata) still the so-called most sensible target for funds, if administrative costs and the probabilities of aid actually reaching its destination are examined?

6 Likes

I wonder who this could be :thinking:
image

Thanks to @Ituhippinen, they edited the title! :blush: This is probably a good place.

10 Likes

To my delight, I have noticed that in the local Facebook community group, people have offered to buy Christmas food for the less fortunate and those who have gone through hardships :heart:

As community groups usually are a dumping ground for the darkest nastiness, smart-aleck remarks, and taunts of the human mind, where one shouldn’t go unless they want their day ruined.

17 Likes

It went to Save the Children Finland, because children seem to be doing worse than ever. :neutral_face:

12 Likes

Blood Service - We are responsible for Finland’s entire blood supply.

One way to help, all year round, and it costs nothing.

11 Likes

I have stopped giving to charity through organizations. I am skeptical about whether they efficiently manage the transfer of funds to those in need or if there are unnecessary costs at different stages of the process. Consequently, many years ago, I decided to donate my funds directly to a few low-income families. With Christmas approaching, it is wonderful to be able to provide them with Christmas food and gifts. What makes this special is seeing the joy and relief that my small contribution brings to these individuals.

10 Likes

GiveWell is a nonprofit dedicated to helping people in need as much as we can by researching the most cost‑effective ways to save and improve lives, sharing our work openly, and directing donations to the programs we believe will do the most good.

We recommend a list of Top Charities to donors. We also offer Giving Funds, which enable donors to contribute to the most impactful and cost-effective opportunities our researchers identify. GiveWell is focused on finding a small number of outstanding giving opportunities, not on reviewing as many organizations—or as many causes—as possible.

We don’t focus solely on financials, such as assessing administrative or fundraising costs. Instead, we conduct in-depth research to determine how much good a given program accomplishes (in terms of lives saved, lives improved, etc.) per dollar spent.

More than 150,000 donors have trusted GiveWell to direct their donations. Together, they have given over $2.6 billion to the organizations and grants we’ve recommended. Of that total, around $1.4 billion has been given to our current Top Charities, where we expect these donations will save over 340,000 lives. You can read more about our estimates here.

Here is a podcast where the CEO talks about the topic and GiveWell.

I personally am a buddy to a fatherless boy who lacks a male role model in his life – it gives more than it takes. Of course, this applies in general, but especially now with Christmas approaching, if you feel even more inspired to help out or something similar, I recommend considering this kind of option :slight_smile:

23 Likes

Donating specifically to a family they know probably works best for some people. And that is excellent work, true.

Nevertheless, it occurred to me that bypassing organizations completely cannot really be recommended as a general standard practice. If the goal is for families in need and, for example, children to receive financial assistance, it requires information and coordinated cooperation with official or semi-official parties. Established fundraising organizations have these methods of cooperation. If everyone donates directly to the low-income families they know, only those people who have networks with donors will receive help.

So, despite everything, organizations are needed for these kinds of charitable matters. Personally, I trusted the Save the Children (Pelastakaa Lapset) organization this year when I had to decide once again where to give my “church tax share.”

The same applies if the goal is to protect Finland’s few old-growth forests or mires or traditional rural biotopes, or even to support their restoration. It’s good if someone has the expertise, money, and time to buy plots of land for protection, but it’s better if a larger group of donors has the opportunity to donate a suitable amount to, for example, expand the conservation sites of the Finnish Natural Heritage Foundation (Luonnonperintösäätiö). For example.

Not everyone has to do it the way I have described, but this is another perspective worth considering.

6 Likes

You are absolutely right. If helping the low-income or otherwise vulnerable is left to their own initiative, courage, and even luck, many of those in need of assistance will be left without help.

The most important thing is to help, but everyone should choose the most suitable method and level of contribution.

I have always thought myself that I’m doing enough by helping these few families and, for example, voluntarily protecting a few forest stands with special natural values. But a while ago, I read a post on this forum by some user (I don’t remember the handle) where they had sold off their entire portfolio and donated the funds to those suffering in Ukraine. At that point, my own contribution felt quite insignificant.

4 Likes

My pennies, and hopefully someone else’s too, are going here: https://www.tukiliitto.fi

6 Likes

This year, I made a donation to the Joulupuu (Christmas Tree) drive in my own city. Based on a quick look, it seems like a solid cause and the overhead costs likely aren’t too high. Previously, I have donated to Inderes’ Christmas Kettle, but let’s try something else now.

7 Likes

Apparently I submitted mine anonymously, but I’ve done my bit this year as well :slight_smile:

5 Likes